In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on. ~Robert Frost
Thursday, August 20, 2009
A Learning Lesson
I am a nighthawk by nature and so I work mostly night shifts. Today I worked one of my rare day shifts and what a day it was! We had a gentleman who was very ill and went unresponsive on us. No loss of heartbeat or respirations but he definitely was unconscious. We did not call a code because he wasn't truly "coding" we just did what was necessary to stabilize him with the help of one of the surgeons and another doctor that was on the floor. It was scary but overall the outcome was favourable. So imagine my surprise when we get called into our director's office for a meeting. It was for a debriefing about the series of events and what we should have done differently. Moral of the story...next time call a code if for nothing more than getting extra bodies in the room for support. Ok, well, now that I understand that can I just vent about one small thing? Doctors suck!! If you call a code that isn't an actual arrest you get poo poo'd by the physician. If you don't call a code, you get poo poo'd by management! WTF!! Now I remember why I like night shifts there is no question about that kind of thing because there simply are not enough people around to bail you out. Therefore you call the code just to get the hands on deck. Oh and we so rarely have a true cardiac arrest that we lack the ability to trust our judgement anyway so do you think that it is too much to ask to have a mock code? Probably but I guess I'll just have to ask at the next staff meeting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment