In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on. ~Robert Frost







Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Just Checking In

Well, DJ is finally home. Thank goodness for that. Now if only my house would magically purge itself of all the crap we've accumulated over the last 8 years. Re-integration and aggravation just doesn't sound like fun at all. But on to the better things...like my kitchen renovations. We went to Home Hardware and got prices for a new kitchen. On to Home Depot tomorrow for another estimate. I am so excited. It is very neat to see how changing the location of appliances allows for a whole new design.

On to another topic that I am struggling with. To wean or not to wean...that is the question! I have to go back to work in another month and I need to figure out what I am going to do. I already switched out one feed for formula/whole milk but I am so stuck on what to do next. I think that the biggest problem is that I fought so hard to succeed that I feel like I am giving up to easily. However, my ability to pump is rotten. The most that I can get is 2-3 oz at a time. She is drinking 4-6 oz right now from a bottle. I would have to pump 4x a day to just get enough for one day of feeding. I simply don't see how this is feasible at this point. I want to keep the nighttime and early morning feeds but then I don't know how to make those work with my almost entirely night rotation. Grrrrr...I have no idea what to do. I know that the other little issue with the weaning is the knowledge that this is very likely the very end for me and breastfeeding. I don't think that DJ is going to agree to having another baby. I have my fingers crossed that he might but I also don't want to get my hopes up either. Oh well that is another topic all together.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain on the weaning issue. In my case though, at least I have a set work schedule, so breastfeeding at night and first thing in the morning should work for me. The question of weaning for me, is more, "Should I do it to speed up my fertility cycle? Or should I just do the daytime weaning thing for now and see where it leaves me?"
    I can only get 2-3oz at a time as well. For a while last fall I was able to get a lot more. I'm not sure what happened, but my pumping went waaay downhill after that, and I've been lucky with 2-3oz ever since... and that takes like 40 minutes. I said to DH recently that I'm getting an electric pump for BN2 because I don't mind pumping, but I hate flexing my hand for that amount of time!
    Hope can be a painful thing. It feels sweet sometimes, but other times it can hurt so bad.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an electric pump and I get the same amount from that as I do from the hand pump. Today I only got 1/2 oz combined from both sides...disappointing to say the least. My other option is to start taking my meds again to increase my production and take advantage of DJ being home so that I can pump several times a day. I am not thrilled with the idea of giving her formula...too many decisions I think. It was much easier with E-Man because the guilt was shortlived since I only nursed him for 6 weeks. Right now I feel like I am failing her by not making it to the 1 year mark. Oh well, I suppose that I am likely just thinking way to hard about it too! xo

    ReplyDelete